07 May 2011

A tranquil pique-nique





I am more reluctant to adventure to new places than you might imagine.  For me, the comfort and satisfaction gained in living and working to improve a home is paramount.  Thanks largely to the existence of wwoof I've been able to have my cake and eat it too.  As my flight home nears, I've begun to fantasize about the life I will build for myself.  In some respects, the trip across Central Europe that I'm planning before I return home is an afterthought.




Nevertheless, I have managed to venture beyond the boundaries of Ferme St. Pierre.  Located just behind the farm is a large natural preserve around Verdon Gorge.  My hosts have assured me that they will talk some of their guests into taking me along when they go to visit.  In the meantime, I'm happily hiking to some of the tributaries, which included this incredible thistle.



The weather has warmed, and the days of afternoon thunderstorms are over.  All the plants are exploding in response.  Above is a photo of a chestnut flower.  The yellow candlesticks covering the tree in the photo below are from a different variety. 



And finally, this photo that my host took of me was just too cool to leave out.  Check out the dust cloud.  Check out my mustache!  The yurt will be arriving within the week, I'm quite excited to begin.



No comments:

Post a Comment